It is finally done!!
After volunteering at the January Montreal Modern Quilt Guild meeting, I
am so thrilled to finally share the finished quilt I put together using
scraps! It’s amazing what you can create
using just fabric scraps and your imagination!
The guild had participated in the Michael Miller QuiltCon Charity Challenge back in the fall of 2015 and we had some scraps leftover. Not wanting to see things go to waste, I
volunteered to take them home and create a quilt.
took quite a bit longer than I anticipated, but I am so happy I tackled it! My initial design idea didn’t work since the
fabric scraps I had were not large enough to complete the design. Most of the stash provided were already cut
into strips. So I decided to go
completely improv. I
literally just started sewing together the strips with a vague idea of what I
could do with them.
project, which I think is normal for an improv approach. The key here was not to get discouraged and
give up (which there were a few times I thought…”oh my, what have I done”?!). But that’s all part and parcel of the improv
followed my gut with the goal of trying to get as much out of the fabric as
initial scrappy block.
make completely different blocks based on where the pieces fit best. So each block is really just a matter of
piecing it together like a little puzzle. You can learn more about building an improv
This approach is by no means complex, but it is time
consuming! There are many seams to sew
and iron in each block and I felt like I was at this stage for quite
awhile. But good things come to those
my followers “Ok…seriously this is an art piece! I had to come back and enjoy
it again ;)” That was beyond awesome and came at a time
where I wasn’t sure whether the project was really coming together or just a
I decided to go for straight line quilting to ground the
craziness of the overall design. But I
went improve here too, in that I mixed up the colours of thread, randomly
alternating black, white, turquoise and red (I couldn’t find a yellow that I
liked). I also varied the widths of the quilting
lines – sometimes I quilted a few close together (2, 3 or 4 lines), then spaced
some more. Again, there was no set plan, I just followed my instincts and went
with the flow.
labels, but as this quilt evolved it reminded me of Mondrian’s artwork and so I
couldn’t resist calling it the Mondrian.
If you have any quilting label tips, I would love for you to share them
in the comments below J
I devoted to it, from the likes and comments I received on social media and
from my guild members and friends and family who had a chance to see it in
person. It has been a great reminder
that even if you are unsure of something, it can end up being a really
rewarding and amazing experience.
the fact that this quilt is now headed to it’s new home – a local women’s
shelter – and hope it will bring comfort and warmth during a very trying time
in a woman’s life.